Switzerland Digital Height Model in VR
This site is a demo to show Digital Height Model (DHM) of Switzerland in VR using the free DHM25/200m geodata of swisstopo. The data is 2x resampled, so using a 400m grid, using the median value in the original data.
Click trigger to start and stop rotation.
- Red line is the center of LV03 reference frame, old observatory in Bern.
- Blue lines are cities, Zurich, Basel, Geneva and Lugano.
- Rotation animation is around the center point (red line).
- There is a white-to-red color gradient to show heights, changing at every 600m.
- The scale is 1:10.000, so 1m in real VR space corresponds to 10km in real-life.
Digital Height Model (DHM25/200m)
Source: Federal Office of Topography
- The VR 3D environment in frontend (web pages) is coded using A-Frame web framework.
- The points are rendered using a custom A-Frame component using BufferedGeometry and Points of three.js.
- The original data has around 1.4M points, since it is 2x resampled, there are around 365K points displayed on this demo.
- This app is hosted at Netlify and tested on Oculus Go and Quest.
- I use Glitch during development, and export it to Github and when merged to master this is deployed to Netlify.
Please send an email to: info at metebalci.com