Switzerland Digital Height Model in VR
This site is a demo to show Digital Height Model (DHM) of Switzerland in VR using the free DHM25/200m geodata of swisstopo. The data is 2x resampled, so using a 400m grid, using the median value in the original data.
Click trigger to start and stop rotation.
- Red line is the center of LV03 reference frame, old observatory in Bern.
- Blue lines are cities, Zurich, Basel, Geneva and Lugano.
- Rotation animation is around the center point (red line).
- There is a white-to-red color gradient to show heights, changing at every 600m.
- The scale is 1:10.000, so 1m in real VR space corresponds to 10km in real-life.
Digital Height Model (DHM25/200m)
Source: Federal Office of Topography
- The VR 3D environment in frontend (web pages) is coded using A-Frame web framework.
- The points are rendered using a custom A-Frame component using BufferedGeometry and Points of three.js.
- The original data has around 1.4M points, since it is 2x resampled, there are around 365K points displayed on this demo.
- This app is hosted at Netlify and tested on Oculus Go and Quest.
- I use Glitch during development, and export it to Github and when merged to master this is deployed to Netlify.
This site uses Google Analytics with IP Anonymization without Remarketing and Advertising Reporting Features.
If you do not wish your data to be collected by Google Analytics,
you can use Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Please send an email to: info at metebalci.com